Like many fans and individuals within Major League Baseball, Houston Astros shortstop Carlos Correa is eager for the 2020 season to begin as quickly as possible. However, he also poured cold water over what’s been deemed the most likely scenario for a campaign during the coronavirus pandemic.
As Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic and MLB on Fox reported on Friday, the idea of MLB players quarantining in Arizona away from loved ones for up to four months to complete a shortened season seems to be the only route toward big league baseball taking place this year.
While speaking with ESPN’s Marly Rivera on Monday, Correa spoke out against this:
“In terms of Arizona, what’s a deal-breaker for players is that they say you have to be in isolation, without your family. That’s something that I think will never happen. No player wants to be without his family. There are many players that have pregnant wives, that have small children. Family is the most important thing to many of us, if not all of us. But it’s the first proposal that came out. And obviously many people posted it, and the media posted it to be the first ones to post it, and be the first one to break the news. But it’s something really excessive. Too excessive. But in the same way we want to play, MLB wants to play. But that’s just the first proposal that came out. It’s pretty extreme. But as much as we want to play, MLB also wants to us to play. We are looking for the best options to be able to play. If that’s the only option, then we have to play. But we want the best option. We want to play, but under the best option, and I don’t think that’s the best proposal right now.”
Correa added that “2020 is not a normal year” and that “the truth is that if we have a season, it will have to be very different.”
The one-time World Series champion became the latest player to hit out at the so-called “Arizona plan” for a 2020 MLB campaign amid the COVID-19 outbreak. Last week, Los Angeles Angels slugger Mike Trout said any idea of players being away from their families for months was “pretty crazy” while speaking with Mike Tirico of NBC Sports.
Los Angeles Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw told Arash Markazi of the Los Angeles Times he’s also not onboard.
“Playing in spring training stadiums and quarantining for months without your family and certain things like that, I don’t think that’s doable if you’re talking about doing it for four to five months.”
Any plan to play during the virus outbreak would have to be agreed upon by both MLB and the MLB Players Association.